Monday, December 10, 2012

D.C., it's all in the details.

Old Town Alexandria.

Old Town Alexandria - 11

Old Town Alexandria - 04

Arlington Cemetery.

Arlington Cemetery - 34

Arlington Cemetery - 04

Arlington Cemetery - 26

Arlington Cemetery - 19

Sculpture Garden.

National Mall and Memorials - 007

(Lichtenstein.)

National Mall and Memorials - 025

Natural History Museum.

National Mall and Memorials - 031

National Mall and Memorials - 032

National Mall and Memorials - 029

Air and Space Museum.

Air and Space Museum - 114

This is the actual airplane (the world's first successful airplane) that the Wright brothers flew in... Wow.

Air and Space Museum - 126

Air and Space Museum - 053

A note about this one... When I was in school, I wanted to be an astrophysicist. I loved looking at the moon and the planets and the stars and I wanted to study them more. However, once I started physics class, I realised I really don't like physics... Which is unfortunate because I have a good understanding of it and did well in the exams. At that time, sadly, I didn't know that physics isn't the be all and end all of space exploration... I didn't know that astrobiology and astrochemistry exist so I gave up on that particular dream.

Luckily, I didn't give up on my dream to be a scientist! I became a chemist instead and I haven't looked back! I love chemistry and this PhD (most of the time) and know I chose the right path.

The Curiosity rover landed on Mars in August and I visited this museum two weeks ago and now my interest and love for space has peaked again. I'm really inspired! I may not follow a career in space exploration (which is still not exactly out of the question) but I've made a promise to myself to take out my (probably quite basic) old telecope when I get home, read books on space (right now I'm reading A Briefer History of Time) and catch up on all the space news. My active interest in space waned when I started college, but I'm reviving it now. And who knows, maybe I'll work for NASA some day... That'd be awesome.

Air and Space Museum - 040

Air and Space Museum - 051

A Lunar Module built for Project Apollo.

Air and Space Museum - 032

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...