Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Princeton Monument Drive

At the very start of Stockton Street in Princeton, just a stroll off Nassau Street, is the Princeton Battle Monument, a pretty impressive sculpture! I don't pretend to know much about American history so here is a short description of the monument I found from the Historical Society of Princeton.

"The creation of the monument served to commemorate the Battle of Princeton, which took place on January 3, 1777. The sculpture depicts Washington leading his troops into battle, as well as the death of General Hugh Mercer."



There is also a lovely bust of Albert Einstein, who lived in Princeton from 1933 until his death, twenty-two years later. I've been learning bits and pieces about Einstein during my visit here and I think he's awesome.
I found this site full of Einstein quotes that I'll be returning to regularly!




I love love love this statue by John Seward Johnson II - there's an actual article from the New York Times in 1974 on the paper beside him! 



This statue is called The Little Vintner of Colmar... Colmar... Hey, I was in Colmar!!


Well, look at this... I wonder...


Huh. A look back through my photos from Colmar reveals that I saw the original of this statue a year and a half ago! What are the chances? Through a bit of research, I also found out that Frederic-Auguste Bartholdi, the sculptor, also sculpted the Statue of Liberty! It seems that there is a replica of Lady Liberty in Colmar, but alas, I didn't see her!


The last item I'll show you today, from the very same area, is the Bell from the USS Princeton of 1843... I so wanted to ring it, but I assumed that sort of thing would be frowned upon.


P.S. While searching for information on each of these pieces, I found this funny and candid article. It's worth a read and two minutes of your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...