Friday, August 31, 2012

Old Crafts: Plants

I've always loved a bit of gardening. Nothing too big or out of hand, mainly because I don't have the garden for that sort of thing, but potted plants and herbs in windows - pretty and tasty things. This summer, I couldn't grow anything cause I'm temporarily in another country. I lucked out though and my landlord really loves gardening so I pop into their garden occasionally for a handful of basil or thyme and sometimes he'll call over with cucumbers from the garden. It's awesome!

Anywho, as my last Old Craft and a homage to the fun I have growing plants, I present to you the following:

About a year and a half ago, I started growing tulip shoots that lovely Nelly brought me all the way from Holland. To grow tulip bulbs, they have to go through a "cold period" so I left them in the fridge for a few weeks and then planted them in funny, upcycled containers and left some inside on the windowsill and others in an old drawer planter outside my apartment. They mostly did awesome! The one in the teapot, however, didn't have enough drainage, I think, and soon rotted and died. But all the others grew strong and healthy. When I left for Nancy, Nelly took over the care for the tulips and she did a great job. They bloomed while I was away, unfortunately, so I didn't get to see the result of my hard work... But still, awesome.


 These basil and French Bean plants are a follow up to this post. They did really well and grew to be pretty big! I left the beans too long before harvesting and so they were pretty tough and tasteless, but the flowers on them were so precious!





And this aloe vera plant... I've only shown close ups here, of new growth, but let me tell you, the plant is pretty massive now! I was given the "mother" plant as a housewarming gift when I moved back to Galway and started my PhD. When I moved to France, my friend Christine took care of it and separated out the new growth into three baby aloe plants. I kept one of the new babies and now that one has new growth, mental! Paul and his housemate are keeping these plants safe while I'm away. With luck, I'll always have these aloe vera plants... They're very resilient and quite dificult to kill!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...