Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Parc de la Pépinière (& stamp love)

I showed you all in my first post from Nancy the Porte de la Craffe, through which I would walk to work in the mornings. Walking through that big portal was incredible!



When I hired a bike and started cycling to work every morning, my route changed. Mostly due to the amount of one way streets, trams and road-rage-filled car and bus drivers in Nancy.* This led to my cycling through the Parc de la Pépinière every morning. 





The Pépinière is a beautiful, big park in the centre of Nancy and conveniently situated right beside ENSIC, where I worked. Some days, if the weather was nice, I would buy a tasty sandwich** from the local boulangerie and chill out in the park. Normally, I'd sit by les animaux.



Oh yes, did I mention that this park is also a mini zoo??




So cute! I think I liked the deer the most. They're so graceful and lovely. And I really feel like we connected... Ahem... Yeah.

I sent a lot of letters to my friends at home while I was away. I'd say the post office people knew me as the Irish girl who likes to buy international stamps towards the end of my trip. But just look at the pretty international stamp France has!!



I'm not saying that Irish stamps are unpretty, of course. I occasionally buy special stamps from the An Post stamps website for their uniqueness. My favourite was the Gaisce 25th Anniversary stamp. It's not available anymore, but it was so cool, especially considering I had received my own Gold Gaisce award that year. If you've been following this blog since the beginning, you'll know I'm now working towards my Silver Gaisce award... Yeah, I like to do things backwards. Although I did get the first award, Bronze, first.

I was pretty surprised to get these stamps one day:


Go Chemistry!!!***

When Paul arrived, we spent a few days in Nancy before getting the train to Paris. I brought him to the Musée des Beaux-Arts to see a Caravaggio piece. Paul loves Caravaggio. While there, we found the most amazing installation.


Isn't it gorgeous!! We spent ages in this room, very very quiet, looking at all the pretty lights.

Oh, Nancy, you were so nice! Thanks for having me for those awesome two months!! (:

Fiona

*I have to say, the bus drivers in Nancy are the rudest and most daring I've ever come across.

**A tasty sandwich with really fresh bread, lovely ham, fresh and crispy veg and yummy mayonnaise. Yum!

***For all who don't know, 2011 is the International Year of Chemistry.

3 comments:

dulci said...

these photos are so lovely! such pretty deer!!!

http://ladulcivida.blogspot.com/

Skuld said...

Aw, that all looked lovely. You're photography is really good too, by the way. Mine is totally shocking.....

Fiona said...

Thanks guys! I like my photography, me, in a very casual way, of course! (:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...