Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Roasted Garlic Pizza

AGES ago, I came across a recipe for roasted garlic pizza... Now, this was long before I ever made a pizza from scratch. As I'm a hoarder, the recipe was dutifully saved to Evernote and forgotten about for a long time. 

Last summer, I made my first pizza dough... But it took so long! Between mixing, getting the dough all over my hands and waiting for it to rise and rise, I was starting to think that maybe home made pizza is more bother than it's worth.

I decided to give it one last try and I figured roasted garlic pizza could be fun!

And oh my!

I had found it. The easiest, tastiest and most fun pizza dough in the world. Now, I'll deduct points from this recipe due to the fact that the dough is so sticky and gets all over my hands every time. But that's the only deduction it gets. The whole thing takes about an hour, which does seem a lot... But half of that hour is spent waiting for the pizza to come out of the oven! I really like this recipe. It can be made in a normal bowl with a wooden spoon, no mixer or dough hook required, it needs a maximum of ten minutes to rise and it's fun! The dough comes out puffy and airy and the roasted garlic is just divine!

But unfortunately, the creator of this tasty pizza mix is gone from the Internetz. Or so it seems anyway. The link from the original recipe brings me nowhere and when I do a search, I just can't find the exact recipe. Boo! So that's why I'm posting the recipe here. Because the world needs to know! Please note that this is in no way my recipe, I've made pretty much no changes to the original. And if anyone knows where the original recipe can be credited, PLEASE let me know.

So, without further banter, here's the recipe:

Roasted Garlic Pizza

Roasted Garlic

1 head garlic
Olive oil
Salt and pepper


Peel away the loose paper from the head of garlic and cut off the top.

Place on tin foil and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Wrap garlic in foil and roast in oven preheated to 200 °C for about 30 minutes.



Meanwhile, make the...


Pizza Dough

2 ¼ teaspoons yeast
1 cup warm water
2 ½ cups flour
1 teaspoon honey
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons oil


Preheat oven to 200 °C. Combine yeast and water and stir until the yeast dissolves.

Add the flour, honey, salt and oil and stir using a wooden spoon.

Let the dough rest for 10 minutes.

Once garlic is cooked, allow to cool and then unwrap from foil.

Squeeze the garlic cloves out and smooth into a paste.

Press dough onto a baking sheet sprinkled with flour.

Spread the garlic on the pizza dough to the edge and top with shredded mozzarella, chorizo and oregano. Or whatever toppings you like!

Bake pizza for half an hour, until cheese in bubbling tastily!

Please excuse the bad photos. The lighting in my apartment at home is pretty awful.


I'm really missing my well-fitted-out kitchen back in Galway. I miss having an oven. An oven, jeez! You'd think that was standard, right? But no. This week I've been having some serious baked goods cravings. Luckily though, I made some Guinness chocolate cake mix this evening and will bake it in the tiny oven at work tomorrow in honour of St. Patrick's Day.

St. Patrick's Day! I'm not one for making lots of noise and drinking excessively on any day, let alone Paddy's Day. But my balloon modelling skills always mean that I'm wanted at some parade in some tiny town of Ireland. It's fun - I get to make kids happy, dress up and put on ridiculous make-up AND get paid for having fun! Although, at times, it is less than fun, if you've been walking all day, the kids are pushy and everywhere and you just need to sit down. But I do love it. Regretting not being at home and doing a parade this year. Oh well, I'm in France!

Kisses!

Fiona

2 comments:

the perfect pear said...

mmm roasted garlic sounds delicious, especially on pizza! i just might have to try this!

Fiona said...

You should, it's so tasty! And definitely worth the minimal effort. (:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...