Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Paris with the parents!!

Oh, wow, I was in Paris this weekend!!

Oh, wow, it was super!

Sacre Coeur 21

It was absolutely wonderful to see my parents and get huge hugs, especially after the past week. My parents are great great people and spending a weekend in their company was delightful. What did we do, you ask? Well… Lots! We decided, seeing as we had all been in Paris before, that we wouldn’t do the typical Paris stuff and so we spent most of our time in Montmartre. And, well, Montmartre is so lovely, why wouldn’t anyone want to do that?!

Affligem

On the night I arrived, we went for drinks… A few too many, judging by my headache on the Saturday morning. I was drinking Affligem all night, oh yummy!! But… Wow! Look at that bill, is that right? Nearly thirty euro for three drinks… Paris is expensive.

Price of the Drinks

We went into the city on Saturday, to the Musée d’Orsay to check out some Impressionist art. Has anyone been? My jaw dropped once I walked inside* and I was so frustrated that I couldn’t take any pictures. The museum is in an old train station and it’s incredible! It’s big, bright, beautiful and so full of character. If you’re interested, here is a history of the train station and museum. It’s filled with great art, but still so spacious and airy. My favourites were all the statues in the centre aisle, and the Monet and Van Gogh. And the shop seemed great too! I didn’t spend too much time there, but if I get a chance, I’ll be going back just to check it out.** Mum, Dad and I took some photos outside by some animal statues.

Musee d'Orsay Statues

And I especially love this picture.

Musee d'Orsay 10

Then it was on to the Catacombs, which were interesting.

Catacombs 9

“The Catacombs gather the remainders of approximately six million Parisian, transferred between the end from 18e century and the middle from the 19e century, progressively of the closing of the cemeteries for reason of insalubrity. Along a labyrinth of obscure galleries and narrow corridors , the visitor discovers the bones laid out in a "romantico-macabre" decoration. Pillars, bells of subsidence or bath of feet of the quarrymen evoke the origin of the places, the limestone quarries, while sharpening the curiosity of the visitor. This underground museum restores the history of Parisian and invites to a voyage out of time.”

It was definitely an experience, but strangely unsettling at the same time. I really didn’t know what to think about it.

Jardin de Luxembourg 5

Oh, and we also strolled through the Jardin de Luxembourg! See that smile? I like my parents.

Jardin de Luxembourg 11

And what did we do Saturday evening? Where did we go for dinner? For a drink?

Moulin Rouge 1

Oh, the Moulin Rouge, of course! We’re fancy like that! Well… This was definitely a treat and it was fantastic!! Unfortunately, again, I would have loved to take photos of the theatre and dining room inside, but had to leave my camera in the cloakroom. ): Probably due to the amount of boobs and sophisticatedly naked ladies on the stage. The dinner was very French and I got a half bottle of Champagne all to myself. And the show was great! I was afraid it would be somewhat tacky and cheap, and I’d be cringing throughout, bit it was the complete opposite, the height of class! And those women!! They made me pretty jealous with their tiny waists, flat tummies and toned bodies. I never expected I’d get to see a show at the Moulin Rouge, but so so glad I did! Thanks Mum and Dad.

Moulin Rouge 10

Compared to Saturday, Sunday was a much more relaxing day. We had breakfast in the Cafe les Deux Moulins… I sort of gave us no choice but to eat there. This is the cafe that Amelie worked in and I’m a big Amelie fan. I was really excited to check it out and it doesn’t seem to have changed much from the movie. The Tabac counter is gone and it seems to be a bit pinker, but I can’t be sure of that. And they had good coffee, which is always good!

Cafe les Deux Moulins

We hopped on the metro after and ended up at the Père Lachaise cemetery, in which we visited the graves of so many great people, such as Marie-Anne Pierrette Paulze, the scientist Lavoisier’s wife. She’s mentioned a lot in this documentary I talked about a while back. Chopin. Gay-Lussac, another science-type guy.

Pere Lachaise 32

And, of course, my absolute favourite writer, Oscar Wilde.***

Pere Lachaise 25

And then back to Montmartre for the Sacre Coeur, a walk about and some lovely dinner and drinks, before hopping onto a train back to Nancy!

Sacre Coeur 8

I had such a terrific weekend, thanks Mum and Dad!!

xx

Fi

*With my free ticket… I love being under 26 in France!

**Hear that, Paul?

***I received my first Oscar Wilde book, “The Happy Prince and Other Stories”, when I was young… Either in 1991 or 1994. The year is written on the inside cover of the book, but I don’t have it here. I loved it! The stories evoked so much from me, in imagination, emotion and awe. I especially loved “The Nightingale and the Rose”.

3 comments:

Skuld said...

The Sacre Coeur is pretty awesome alright. Did you go up all the stairs or take the lift? Jay and I spent a good while wandering about the surrounding area then, it was lovely. Yeah, where we went to the Smashing Pumpkins gig, we paid 16euro for 2 pints of Heinekein in the nearest pub....lame. Sorry. Sleepy. Inarticulate.

Marisa Midori said...

Sounds like an amazing time! You visited all of the places I totally want to visit when I eventually get to Paris. Did you leave a kiss on Oscar Wilde's tomb?

Fiona said...

Thanks Marisa! The Père Lachaise cemetary was really amazing! No kiss on Oscar Wilde's tomb, I had no lipstick. (: Will this help you in your thesis or would you like me to email you more photos, etc?

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...