Wednesday, March 2, 2011

“And he told me that I’d done alright…”

One of my gerbils, Samson Rory Gerbil, passed away today.

Paul did his best to make Samson comfortable, to the extent that he massaged his lungs and tried to clear his airways and stayed with him all morning and afternoon. But he was nearly three years old and the vet wasn’t sure but said he probably had pneumonia. The vet was so nice that he’ll be burying Samson in his garden beside his daffodils this evening, because neither Paul nor I have proper gardens. I’m so grateful for that.

Samson was the most beautiful little animal. He was the sophistication to his brother Christopher’s craziness. When I was picking them out at the pet shop, I picked Chris because he was running all over the tank, full of energy! And Sam, I picked because he was the first little gerbil I noticed in the sleeping pile of four. He was always curious and sweet. And he will be missed so much.

I’m so sad that I couldn’t be there to take care of him myself, but I know he couldn’t have been more cared for than with Paul.

I don’t have any good pictures of Samson here in Nancy, but this one was taken back in 2008, when he was just six or seven months old. Himself and Chris were helping me pack for a trip to Malta.


Gerbils 9


“Beneath the stars came falling on our heads.”

Thanks for a great few years, Sam, you were awesome.

2 comments:

Gidget said...

So sorry to hear about your gerbil...like that you quoted the sampson song though, and I like your blog as well. Thanks for following mine! I followed you back!

Skuld said...

Hugs lady.

(In other news, I just read your last comment. The mysterious lady wasn't me silly! It was Ruth. :) )

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...