Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Fiona's First Adventures in Crochet



As I mentioned previously in my Luxembourg post, I've been crocheting. Finally!! I was so happy to just get down to it and make something with a hook and some yarn. And I was so so surprised by how easy it was. And fun! And rewarding! I saw my little projects reveal themselves so quickly.





I started off with something that's been stored in my Evernote account for the past EVER, filed under "Crafts", of course. I Stumbled Upon this tutorial by Bella Dia and I thought it would be a sweet pattern to start my crochet adventures with. I made two hearts - one while watching The Aristocats and one on the train to Lux. It was that quick!








Then I thought, "OK, well, if I can single crochet and increase and decrease, maybe I can learn double crochet and make a circle?" And that's just what I did! Although the circle isn't really a circle... It was the end of the yarn and I was just practising, so once the yarn was finished, I just stopped crocheting. 

I made the circle and learned the basics of crochet using The Happy Hooker by Debbie Stoller, which I'm sure a lot of you have heard of. It's an incredible book that takes you step by step through every crochet stitch. I also have the Knitter's Handbook... But I'm fighting with knitting at the minutes, so I'd rather not talk about it.


I made the One Skein Scarf from The Happy Hooker as my first big (ish?) crochet project. I tell you, adding over two hundred chain stitches was hard... I'd say I counted them at least four different times. But it worked up so quickly and by the end, I was happily making double crochet and shell stitches while Skyping and listening to audiobooks. I'm really happy with the finished product and am proudly wearing it whenever the weather and my clothing choices will allow.

Hopefully, a few more finished and lovely crochet projects will be popping up here from time to time. I have my eyes on a few flowers, but they may have to wait while I do other stuff.

Hope you're all having a lovely week!

Fi

1 comment:

Skuld said...

Yay! Go you sweetheart! I'm so happy you and crochet have settled (most of) your differences. It truly is a delight. Your scarf looks great too - I much prefer your red one to the green in the book. Woohoo1

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...