Friday, February 18, 2011

Between books and audiobooks

Butterfly,love,books,camera,inspiration,book-95019e3258cb6b450f648c1177f97288_h_large

I normally abhor any novel / narrative that's not in proper, traditional book form. Book form, like, where you hold the book open and turn the pages and immerse yourself in some wonderful world of (witty)* fiction.** I'm still unsure about the Kindle, even though I've heard some very good reports about it. It saves paper, yes, and it would be great to take on holidays, when bringing a pile of books just isn't feasible. But... Really? I can't imagine not turning pages, not holding something lovely and papery in my hands.


Tumblr_lg5rdo8htj1qa6j27o1_500_large

But how many of you out there have ever listened to an audiobook?

When I was at home for a few days in January, just before leaving for Brighton, my Dad gave me two vouchers for two free audiobooks. These vouchers came with two tasty bottles of Casillero del Diablo wine. Oh, the wine was yummy, yummy, I tell you! The website is pretty nice too. Check out the "Legend" video below.


I was unsure about these "audiobooks"... They seemed like another cop out for reading an actual book. And the fact that there's really no reading involved. Pfft! But, never one to turn my nose up at something that's quite free, I checked it out. This is the link to the audiobooks website, called Audible.

After "shopping" for some time, looking for the best audiobooks, I came out with not four, but six!! Super good deal! I was tempted to get some classics... "Pride and Prejudice" was nearly on the list... But I find reading classics difficult enough, I figured listening to them would be so much more tough.  I did, however, get "War of the Worlds" by H. G. Wells, we'll see how that goes.

And they're great! Audiobooks, that is. Very convenient and very useful for crafting!! Great for travelling and walking around. I listen to them mostly while commuting to and from the lab... Sometimes I read a book on the tram, but then I have to close it during the 15 minutes walk from the tram stop to the lab and back again. But with audiobooks, I can keep on listening all the way. And when crafting, I can have it playing in the background. There's even a really super app for Android and iPhones. Love it!

So far, I've listened to "The Host" and "The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner".*** Next I'm going to start on "The Time Traveller's Wife" by Audrey Niffeneger.




And there's my two cents on audiobooks. They're good!

I'm off to Colmar tomorrow and Strasbourg on Sunday, both day trips. Very excited! I'll tell you all about them early next week.

Have a nice weekend!

Fiona

P.S. I just joined weheartit, sort of loving it so far!


*Totally going for a bit of alliteration there.

**Fiction is always my book of choice.

***I am unashamedly a fan of Twilight and all Stephenie Meyer's books.

2 comments:

Skuld said...

Oh.....but the Time traveler's wife is such a good book to read.....I'm normally a fan of audio books, but I'm just not sure how that may translate to audioness. I hope it goes well. I couldn't put the book down.

I love you. But you should be ashamed.

Fiona said...

Oh, but it's actually such a good one by audio... There are a male and a female narrator and they do all the ages so well. Loving it so far!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...